We’re testing a new feature for the show…
A good look for DJ Skunkie, no?
I am a long time vodka fan but as any good connoisseur of alcohol, I’m trying to branch out into other areas. Although I’ve sampled Kraken Black Rum, I haven’t had much other Rum experience and don’t have a go-to brand. So I decided to try RonDiaz Spiced Rum. It’s a mid-ranged rum retailing about $15-20 for 750 ml.
When you first open the bottle the first thing you smell is vanilla. A LOT of vanilla. It’s not a bad smell, not overbearing like chemical vanilla flavoring. You also get a hint of spice. I guess I would call it allspice because it’s mostly nutmeg but definitely some other spices in the background.
I was looking forward to tasting it…
Unfortunately the smell and taste don’t match at all.
For spiced rum RonDiaz, only has two flavors, spice and burn. And the spice is not a warm mouth feel, it’s more spice overload. And the burn, well I expect some burn especially since RonDiaz Spiced Rum is 60 proof (30% alcohol by volume) which is higher than normal for rum (40 proof, 20% alcohol by volume) but there still should be flavor.
And that’s what was truly lacking.
The vanilla smell didn’t transfer at all into taste. I think the other spice dragged it down a dark alley and beat it to death.
I want to say someone out there will like it. Someone who likes the initial taste to smack you in the face and a lovely finish of alcohol burn and not much else. Charlie would call this a frat-boy rum. So they might like it, but it’s definitely not me.
(It smelled nice.)
Tonight my friends, we are joined by a man who is keeping a time-honored tradition alive, and in a grand way!
Mr. Lobo, AKA Mister Lobo, is a TV host, writer, actor and producer, dedicated to unusual and low budget cinema. He has also appeared in many films and was cast as Criswell in the long awaited remake of Plan 9 from Outer Space. His motto is “They’re Not Bad Movies–Just Misunderstood.”
You can see the results of his efforts on his website, CinemaInsomnia.com, or on the Zom-Bee channel on your Roku.
Our Featured Music for tonight is Devo, and our Feaured Drink is the “Poor Man’s Root-Beer Float” which you’ll just have to tune in to find out how to make!
See you at 7pm Eastern Time!
So. Here we are. A brand new website dedicated to our show.
- First things first:
- No, Skunkie and I are NOT leaving KJSR.net. The Station is our home, and the Staff and DJs there are our family. We’ll ALWAYS be heard EXCLUSIVELY on KJSR.net.
- So why a whole website with a fancy domain and everything for just the show if we’re not leaving?
- Because the show is taking off like a rocket, and we have a few extra things planned for it. So rather than clutter up the Station’s main site with a bunch of stuff that only relates to our show, we decided it’d be better to expand over here.
- What sort of “extra things“?
- My, you’re nosy, aren’t you. But that’s okay, because we’re excited about this, and we want you to be excited too. The quick and easy answer to your question is to look at the tabs across the top of the site here. Eventually all those will be full of nice shiny things for you to read!
- The longer answer is, since we do alcohol reviews, we’re going to start posting them here. Along with the recipes for drinks (both featured on the show, and drinks we just happen to like), photo galleries of our Guests and other images related to the show, and a fancy-schmancy new way to interact with us. But that one you’ll just have to wait and see. Trust me, it’s worth it.
2 oz. Whiskey
1 oz. Lemon Juice
1 oz. Simple Syrup
2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
Mix all ingredients in an iced shaker and strain into an iced rocks glass and garnish with a slice of orange and maraschino cherry.